Wednesday, January 19

Fenerbahce insist Chelsea ‘done deal’ for centre-back ‘does not reflect the truth’

Turkish giants Fenerbahce have denied claims that Attila Szalai is heading to Chelsea.

Thomas Tuchel has made signing a new centre-back top of his agenda due to the contract situation of a number of their defenders. Antonio Rudiger is out of contract at the end of the season and showing no signs of extending his deal. Thiago Silva’s time is also up next summer while Andreas Christensen and Cesar Azpilicueta are also out of contract.

Tuchel is eager for Christensen to remain at the Bridge if fresh terms can be agreed. While Silva, 37, could extend his deal by another 12 months, but the Blues look vulnerable in that area.

So when Hungary boss Marco Rossi said that “I think he is joining Chelsea”, the transfer of Szalai seemed more than plausible. 

However, Fener have reacted to the talk and released a statement, via Sky Sports.

It reads: “The allegations regarding the transfer of our player Attila Szalai, which have been made public in the last few days, based on foreign press and social media, do not reflect the truth.

“Our club has not made any transfer negotiations regarding our successful football player Attila Szalai. Our player continues his work completely concentrating on the goals of our team. We present it to the public.”


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Chelsea ‘serious’ about Szalai

The 23-year-old Szalai featured in Hungary’s three Euro 2020 group stage games.

 

He also played against England in October and helped hold Gareth Southgate’s men to a 1-1 draw.

See also  ‘Sell him’ – Merson tells Arsenal to take big hit on attacker amid lack of ‘consistency’

Szalai only moved to Turkey in January. He was a £1.8m signing from Apollon Limassol.

According to CNN Turk last month, Chelsea were “serious” about signing Szalai and made an “astronomical” offer. Fenerbahce were said to be evaluating the proposal, worth €23.4m (about £20m).

The deal was said to be in the final stages. The Blues were willing to offer him a six-year contract that will put €4m per season in his pocket.

But Fener have rubbished the talk, at least for the time being.

READ MORE: Tuchel wary of void left by Chelsea man ‘everybody in the world wants’

The post Fenerbahce insist Chelsea ‘done deal’ for centre-back ‘does not reflect the truth’ appeared first on TEAMtalk.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *