Ralf Rangnick has insisted that his disagreement with wantaway Manchester United striker Anthony Martial has been ‘resolved’.
Martial wants to leave Old Trafford in January after falling down the pecking order significantly since the arrivals of Jadon Sancho and Cristiano Ronaldo in the summer. The Frenchman has made just ten appearances in all competitions this term, scoring once.
Since then, the player has categorically denied Rangnick’s claim that he went ‘on strike’ in an Instagram post, and the German was again asked about the situation in his pre-match press conference prior to his side’s trip to Brentford on Wednesday.
“I said all that needs to be said on that after the game,” Rangnick began. “I nominated him before the game and he was not part of the group. You can draw your own conclusions out of that.
“I had a conversation with him on Sunday about all this and now, for me, from my perspective, everything has been spoken about, has been resolved. [There’s] no need to add anything on top of that.”
As 90min revealed earlier this month, Juventus had been considering a loan move for Martial after Federico Chiesa was ruled out for the season with an ACL injury.
However, as was the case when Sevilla were interested in the frontman, wages are proving to be a significant stumbling block – something Juventus director Maurizio Arrivabene admitted on Tuesday.
Newcastle were also linked with Martial, but a lack of progress convinced them to pursue other targets such as Burnley’s Chris Wood and Reims’ starlet Hugo Ekitike.
For more from Matt O’Connor-Simpson, follow him on Twitter!