Tuesday, June 28

Bernardo Silva refuses to rule out Barcelona transfer

Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva has refused to rule out signing for Barcelona this summer.

The 27-year-old, who joined City from Monaco in 2017, was ready to leave Manchester last summer as a result of feeling alone in England and unhappy being away from his family. He explained the situation as recently as March and admitted it had been affecting his form.

“I had a talk with the club because I wasn’t happy with my life here, and I wanted to be closer to my family. But [wanting to leave] had nothing to do with the club. I love Manchester City. I love my team-mates, I love the fans,” Silva said at the time.

But even then, he admitted his future at the club would be discussed again: “At the end of the season, I’m going to sit down with City and see what’s best for both sides.”

During the 2021/22 season he recovered from his blip form and was recently named in the PFA Team of the Season. His good form has continued during the recent run of international matches too.

Silva set up both of Portugal’s goals in their 2-0 win over Czech Republic on Thursday night, one of which was scored by City teammate Joao Cancelo. But a line of media questioning after the match focused on his future following recent reports of revived Barcelona interest.

On this week’s edition of Talking Transfers, Harry Symeou steps in for Scott Saunders to host 90min’s transfer correspondent Graeme Bailey and Toby Cudworth who discuss the futures of Bukayo Saka, Raphael Leao, Romelu Lukaku, Kalvin Phillips, Youri Tielemans, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Raphinha, Gabriel Jesus and more! 

Now, Silva has again left the issue open-ended, suggesting he still plans to sit down with club officials and discuss the situation once he is released from international duty.

“When the season ends, we’ll see what happens,” was his response when asked about Barcelona.

Pep Guardiola, however, was blunt when recently asked about Barça’s interest.

“They will have a difficult time,” he said.

For more from Jamie Spencer, follow him on Twitter and Facebook!

Source

See also  Everton scout: We could have signed Haaland for 60,000 pounds but thought he'd lose his effectiveness

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.