Kyle Busch stole the limelight last Sunday with his first Richard Childress Racing win at the Auto Club 400. While he broke many records with the victory, that was not the only talking point after the race. There was also the sad fact that it was the last race at the Auto Club Speedway.
NASCAR had decided to shorten and revamp the track long before. With the sale price touted to be approximately around $559 million, NASCAR seems to be clear with its approach. The motorsport organization plans to cut short the track from a 2-mile track to half a mile.
Obviously, locals and fans of the track are disappointed. Since then, many drivers and experts have raised their concerns about losing the historic and picturesque venue. However, former Hendrick Motorsports driver Dale Earnhardt Jr isn’t one of them.
Dale Earnhardt Jr has his say on the Fontana sale
The Fontana sale has clearly divided opinions. Drivers like Bubba Wallace and Ryan Blaney have expressed their displeasure with the sale in recent times. They admitted that it is a shame that the track’s fate cannot be avoided.
Commercial real estate broker Corion Properties announces that it brokered a sale of 433 acres at Auto Club Speedway by @NASCAR to Hillwood and CBRE for $559 million.
NASCAR retained ownership of 90 acres for a short track and the right to use 106 acres on site for parking. pic.twitter.com/OBNIqP5d9r
— Adam Stern (@A_S12) March 1, 2023
Dale Jr too recently discussed the sale on The Dale Jr. Download podcast with co-host Mike Davis. He said, “Look, I love Fontana, I really wanted to run in that Xfinity race.
“It is a fun race track to run but man there’s a disconnect for me somewhere between everybody’s opinion of the race track, especially now that it’s going away, and what has been going on there for the last 10 years in terms of attendance and general appreciation for the race track itself.”
READ MORE – “How Are You Gonna…” – NASCAR Insider Admits Skepticism Around $500 Million-Worth Revamp Project of Fan-Favorite Track
The 48-year-old might be right there and he had something more to add.
Junior insists on being practical with Fontana
Speaking on the podcast, Dale Jr insisted the Fontana lovers be realistic about the situation. In his opinion, getting rid of emotions is the only practical thing to do, especially when the plans are in place.
He discussed a bit about the future plans on how the concerned authorities are planning to go about it. The two-time Daytona 500 winner said, “So, what the track (authorities) wants to do is build a short track. What they want to do is basically use a large portion of what is currently there with the front grandstands. They’re gonna use the footprint of the front straight away.”
NASCAR must have thought the move through, considering the financial costs/earnings involved. While it might be difficult for people to get on board with it, there is very little anyone can do about it.
WATCH THIS STORY | “Didn’t Have the B*lls to Do It” – Dale Earnhardt Jr Once Turned Down an Offer to Follow in Jeff Gordon’s Footsteps
The post Dale Earnhardt Jr Discloses “Disconnect” With Fontana Amid Ryan Blaney, Bubba Wallace, & Other NASCAR Drivers’ Close Connection appeared first on EssentiallySports.