NBL1 player Chloe Bibby says she has no problem playing against a transgender player in the NBL1 South women’s competition after Basketball Victoria confirmed it will approve the player’s application.
The player in question will reportedly suit up for Kilysth Cobras as news of the league’s decision whipped up a frenzied debate, with former NBA star Andrew Bogut denouncing the move.
Basketball Victoria confirmed it’s working through the eligibility requirements ahead of the 2023 season.
READ MORE: NRL ‘obsession’ puts star’s career in ‘jeopardy’
READ MORE: Aussies rue ‘hour of madness’ that cost series
READ MORE: Warning ahead of ‘extraordinary’ Buddy farewell
In response to Bogut’s misgivings, Bibby said she’d embrace the challenge like she would against any other player.
“As someone who plays in the NBL1, I don’t care what they identify as or their pronouns, she/her, they/them, he/him because regardless I’m still gone (sic) try beat their ass on court,” Bibby tweeted.
“They want to play ball & I have nothing but the upmost respect for this person. Go kill it queen.”
Bogut expressed disappointment over the news on social media on Monday afternoon, calling on “girl dads” to unite.
“Word is @NBL1 South Women will have a biological Male playing this upcoming season,” Bogut tweeted.
“Are you ok with sacrificing the sanctity of Female Sport in the name of “inclusion”? #GirlDads where are you?
“The hashtag is trendy until action is needed.”
Bogut’s tweets provoked several responses, with many on either side of the debate reaching out to the former NBA champion.
Former NBL player Matt Shanahan wrote the decision would open a “massive can of worms.”
“I’m a girl dad who has a 16-year-old daughter in an NBL 1 South squad who has been asked if she would be comfortable with this,” said Shanahan, who is currently coaching the Victorian Metro Under 18s side.
“Opening a massive can of worms if this is allowed.”
Earlier this month, gender issues led Bogut to take aim at Football Australia over a detail in his son’s soccer registration.
Bogut shared a picture of gender inclusive options in a drop-down box on his six-year-old’s registration form.
The list included options for male, female, non-binary or gender fluid players, and a fourth section for those whose “gender identity not sufficiently represented”.
Bogut shared a picture of the list to his followers, directly calling out Football Australia.
Football Australia said it was proud of the diversity of its sport.
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!